The API is called via a well-defined URL. If an XML file is supplied by a call, it can also be entered in a browser window, for example. The resulting XML is then displayed by the browser.
The URL consists of:
- API base URL: ‘https://api.itscope.com’.
- Version: the latest version is ‘/2.1.
- Method: this may, for example, begin with ‘/products’. Another method is ‘/search’, followed by the filters, described in URL path syntax.
- Data format: for example standard or developer, described in data formats
- Output format: output formats can be CSV, XML or JSON.
- Parameters: separated from the path with a ‘?’ symbol. Additional information, such as for sorting are provided; these are described in URL parameter syntax.
Combining these elements results in the link to an API call, for example: